Jan 29, 2013
Cinnamon Pull Apart Bread
Happy Tuesday readers! So I am going to level with all of you, this past weekend I was really sick. I caught that cold/flu that has been going around and it was awful. If I hate anything in the world, it is being sick, and everyone around me hates it too. You know when people say "She is such a baby when she's sick?" The person who started that phrase had just finished nursing me back to health. It is no secret that I am a very needy sick person. I know what you are all thinking, so I will say it out loud. POOR GARRETT! Yes, poor Garrett is right. But he survived the whole weekend and I thought he deserved a little something sweet. So when I came across this delicious recipe for Cinnamon Pull Apart Bread from Chocolate Therapy I knew he would love it, and he did.
For the Bread
2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 tbsp cornstarch
3/4 tsp salt
2 1/4 tsp dried active yeast
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup water
1 tsp vanilla extract
For the filling
2/3 cup dark brown sugar
2 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp cornstarch
1/4 cup butter, melted
For the Glaze
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. In a stand mixer or bowl combine corn starch, salt, yeast, sugar and 2 cups of flour.
2. In a sauce pan, heat milk and butter together. After everything is melted, let it sit for 1 minute and add Vanilla.
3. Pour the milk mixture into the flour and mix until the ingredients are moistened.
4. Add the eggs one at a time.
5. Add 1/2 cup more flour to the bowl and mix at low speed for 1 minute.
6. Add another 2 Tbs. of flour and mix at medium speed for 45 seconds until the dough is smooth and slightly sticky.
7. Sprinkle a work surface with flour and knead your dough for one minute until the dough is not sticky.
8. Let the dough rise in a covered, oiled bowl until double in size. (about one hour)
9. On a floured surface roll out your dough until it is 40 x 40 cm square and brush with 2/3 of the melted butter. Mix together the cinnamon, brown sugar and corn starch in a bowl and pour 3/4 of the mixture on top of the butter.
10. Roll the dough into a log.
11. This is he fun part, at least it was for me. Using dental floss or thread place the string underneath the dough, pull both sides of the string around the log. Pulling in opposite directions cut the dough into 1 cm thick pieces.
12. Once the whole log of dough is cut, run the rolling pin over all of the rolls until they are half as thick.
13. Place the cinnamon rolls into a 9x5x3 oiled bread pan. Cover the bread pan with cling wrap and let the rolls rise for half and hour in a warm place.
14. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
15. Cook the bread for 20-30 minutes or until the roll is golden brown on top.
16. Mix powdered sugar, vanilla extract and add small amounts of hot water until the glaze is the perfect thickness.
17. Pour the glaze over the bread and enjoy with a glass of milk.
Garrett loved this little treat and I did too. It was the perfect pick-me-up after a whole weekend of tomato soup and cough drops. I hope you all have a lovely Tuesday. Just think, tomorrow is Wednesday and we will be half way through the week. xx. Lou.
Labels: Tastes // Bites